USS Patrick Henry

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Patrick Henry SSBN-599

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Patrick Henry
(SSBN-599: dp. 5,900 (surf.), 6,700 (subm.); 1. 381'8"; b.
33'; dr. 29'; s. 20+k. (surf. and subm.), cpl. 112; a. Polaris,
6 21" tt.; cl. George Washington)

Patrick Henry (SSBN-599) was laid down by the Eleetrie Boat Division, General Dynamies Corp., Groton, Conn. 27 May 1958; launched 22 September 1959; sponsored by Mrs. Leslie C. Arends; and commissioned 9 April 1960, Comdr. Harold E. Shear (blue crew) and Comdr. Robert L. J. Long (gold ercw) in command.

Manned alternately by two crews, blue and gold, to maximize her submerged operation, Patrick Henry underwent shakedown with the blue crew until 16 September, when the gold crew took over. This second Fleet Ballistic Missile Submarine commenced her first deterrent patrol in December 1960, still manned by the gold crew. Between December 1960 and December 1964, Patrick Henry conducted 17 deterrent patrols while remaining continuously deployed overseas operating out of Holy Loch, Scotland. When she surfaced at Holy Loeh 8 March 1961 she had set a record for her type eruising submerged 66 days and 22 hours.

In December 1964, Patrick Henry returned to Eleetrie Boat Division of General Dynamies, Groton, Conn., where she remained for 18 months to complete extensive overhaul and repair operations, including refueling of the reactor plant and modifications to permit the handling of the Polaris A-3 missiles. After shakedown in mid-1966 off Puerto Rico and Cape Kennedy, Fla., Patrick Henry departed Charleston in December for patrol No. 18, equipped with A-3 Polaris missiles and assigned to Submarine Squadron 14. On 1 March 1968 Patrick Henry completed her 22nd patrol at Holy Loeh. She remains with the Atlantic Fleet into 1970.