(SP-2981: dp. 299; 1. 141'5~; b. 23'3; dr. 11'6; s.
11k.; cpl.42; a.13,2mg.)
The first Starling (SP-2981) was built in 1917 by
the Globe Shipbuilding Co., Superior, Wisc., and was operated as S Petrel by the Atlantic Coast Fishing Co., New York City. The ship was acquired by the Navy on 18 June 1918 by charter and commissioned on 19 August 1918.
Starling was assigned to the 1st Naval District as a minesweeper. She served in that capacity until 24 February 1919 when she was struck from the Navy list and returned to her owners.