(SP-1760: dp. 4,707; 1. 367'11"; b. 48'7"; dr. 34'2";
s. 13.5 k.; a. 1 5", 1 3")
The first Shoshone (SP-1760) was built in 1911 by Bremer Vulkan, Vegesack, Germany, and operated for the Hamburg-American Lines as Wasgenwald.
The ship was chartered by the Army on 26 October 1917 from the Custom House, N.Y., and used as a depot collier. Shoshone was acquired by the Navy for use as a troop transport and placed in commission on 19 February 1919. She was attached to the Cruiser and Transport Force and, between February and July, made two voyages to St. Nazaire, France, returning with American troops.
Shoshone was decommissioned at Norfolk, Va., on 5 August 1919 and returned to her owner.