Shady Side SP-2079
(SP-2079: t. 62; 1. 85'; b. 20'; dr. 5'6''; s. 9 k.; cpl. 3)
Shady Side, a coastal freight and passenger ship built in 1913 at Croton-on Hudson, N.Y., was purchased for the United States Navy on 19 February 1918, given the number SP-2079, and assigned to ferry service between the United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md., and the Experimental Engineering Station across the Severn River. Designated YFB-2079 on 17 July 1920, she continued that duty into 1925. On 15 March 1925, she was damaged in a storm, developed leaks, and sank early the following morning, Raised on the 17th, she was declared unfit for further service, and her name was struck from the Navy list on 9 May. She was sold on 24 September to William Mattson of Baltimore, Md.