Sakonnet AOG-61

 

Sakonnet

(AOG-61: dp. 2,700 (f.), 1. 220'6", b. 37', dr. 13'1"; s. 10 k., cpl. 62, a. 1 3", 2 40mm., 3 20mm., el.Sequatchie; T. T1-M-A2)

Sakonnet (AOG-61) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 789) on 1 May 1943 by Todd Galveston Dry Docks, Inc., Galveston, Texas
launched on 1 December 1943, sponsored by Miss Adele Geer; and commissioned on 20 November 1944, Lt. Comdr. Raymond P. LeViness in command.

Sakonnet departed Galveston in December 1944 and sailed, via the Panama Canal, to the Aleutians. Arriving in February 1945, she operated in the Aleutians until the end of World War II and returned to San Francisco on 18 September. She was decommissioned on 26 October 1945; struck from the Navy list on 13 November 1945; and returned to the Maritime Commission on 1 July 1946.