(AO-12: dp. 16,800 (f.); 1. 477'10"; b. 60'; dr. 26'2" (mean);
s. 11.2 k.; cpl. 90; a. 2 5"; cl. Patoka)
Ramapo (AO 12), built under U.S. Shipping Board eontraet, was laid down 16 January 1919 by the Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va., launched 11 September 1919, and commissioned 15 November 1919 Lt. Comdr. J. D. Smith, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to Caribbean shuttle runs after commissioning Ramapo carried petroleum products from Port Arthur, Tcx., to Guantanamo Bay and the Canal Zone until April 1920 Then she extended her range and through 1921 delivered fuel to ships and bases on the gulf and east e oasts and in European waters. Transferred to the Pacific in 1922, Ramapo carried oil to ships and stations of the Pacific Fleet and made occasional trips to the Canal Zone and to the east coast until mid-1928, when she began to supply the Asiatie Fleet on a regular schedule. Beginning on 21 June, she carried oil from San Pedro to the Philippines and China and, for the next 9 years averaged four round-trips annually. En route she performed
collateral duties as a survey ship and collected data in central and western Pacific island groups for the Hydrographie Offiee.
In late 1937, Ramapo briefly interrupted her transpacifie runs to discharge oil to ships and stations in the Aleutians then resumed runs to the Orient, continuing them until the spring of 1941 when she was shifted to Hawaiian shuttle service. At Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attucked on 7 December, the tanker returner! tn San Pedro and made tuo round-trips to Bora Bora before resuming Alaskan shuttle runs. Arriving at Kodiak 29 July 1942 on her first sueh run since 1937, she plied between Port Tounsend and various mainland and Aleutian stations throughout World War II, completing her last run at Seattle 23 September 1945. On the 27th, she steamed south and on the 30th reported at San Francisco for inactivation. Decommissioned 10 January 1946, Ramapo was struck from the Navy list 21 January and transferred to the Maritime Commission 1 July.
Ramapo received one battle star for World War II service.