USS Charleson C22


harleston III

(C-22: dp. 9,700, 1. 426'6" b. 66'; dr. 22'6", s. 22 k.;
cpl. 673; a. 14 6", 18 3"; cl. St. Louis)

The third Charleston (C-22), a protected cruiser, was launched 23 January 1904 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, VA.; sponsored by Miss H. Rhett, and commissioned 17 October 1905 Captain H. Winslow in command. She was reclassified CA-19 on 17 July 1920.

Charleston cruised to South American ports in the summer of 1906 with Secretary of State Elihu Root on board for good-will visits, and after disembarking the official party at Panama in September, returned to the west coast for overhaul. She cleared San Francisco 6 December 1906 to begin service with the Pacific Squadron, sailing along the west coast from Magdalena Bay Mexico, to Esqulmalt, British Columbia, on exercises and fleet maneuvers until 10 June 1908, when she entered the Puget Sound Navy Yard to prepare for the long passage to the Asiatic station.

Leaving Puget Sound 28 October 1908, Charleston served in the Far East until 11 September 1910, first as flagship of 3d Squadron, Pacific Fleet, and later, as flagship of the Asiatic Fleet. Based on Cavite, P.I., in the winter, the Fleet moved north each summer to Chefoo, China, to continue exercises and visits to ports of China Japan, Manchuria, and Russia, presenting a powerful reminder of American interest in the Far East. Returning to Bremerton Wash., Charleston was decommissioned 8 October 1910 at Puget Sound Navy Yard

Placed in commission in reserve 14 September 1912 Charleston joined the Pacific Reserve Fleet, remaining at Puget Sound Navy Yard as a receiving ship through early 1916, aside from a voyage to San Francisco in October 1913 as flagship for the Commander-in Chief, Pacific Reserve Fleet. From 1912 through early 1916, she was receiving ship at the yard. With a new assignment as tender for the submarines based in the Canal Zone, Charleston arrived at Cristobal, C.Z., 7 May 1916, for a year of operations with submarines, reconnaissance of anchorages, and gunnery exercises. On the day of America's entry into World War I, 6 April 1917 Charleston was placed in full commission, and early in May reported for duty with the Patrol Force in the Caribbean. Based on St. Thomas, V.I., she patrolled for commerce raiders through the month of May, then sailed north carrying Marines from Haiti to Philadelphia.

Here she readied to join the escort of the convoy carrying the first troops of the American Expeditionary Force to France, which cleared New York 14 June 1917, made St. Nazaire, France, after a safe passage through submarine waters 28 June, and returned to New York 19 July. After training naval volunteers and reserves for 2 weeks at Newport, Charleston cleared 16 August for Havana, Cuba, where she supervised the sailing in tow of several former German ships to New Orleans. She next escorted a convoy from Cristobal to Bermuda, where she rendezvoused with a group of British transports, guarding their passage to Hampton Roads.

In September and October 1918 she made two convoy escort voyages to Nova Scotia, then joined the cruiser and transport force, with which she made five voyages to France carrying occupation troops overseas and returning with combat veterans.
Charleston sailed from Philadelphia for the west coast 23 July 1919, reaching Bremerton, Wash., 24 August. Here she was placed in reduced commission until late in 1920, when she arrived in San Diego to serve as administrative flagship for Commander, Destroyer Squadrons, Pacific Fleet. She served on this duty until 4 June 1923, when she sailed for Puget Sound navy yard and decommissioning on 4 December 1923. She was sold 6 March 1930.