(YT-344: dp. 218; 1. 100'; b. 25'; dr. 9'2; s. 11 k.;
cpl. 8; cl. Swatane)
Port Crane was acquired by the United States Navy on 25 November 1942 from the Maritime Commission; was renamed Swatane on 1 December 1942 designated YT-344 the same day; and was assigned to the 3d Naval District for duty, Boatswain Charles Wentz in command.
Swatane operated in that district out of New York harbor until 13 July 1956 when she was transferred to Mayport, Fla. She arrived on 16 July, went
to Charleston, S.C., on the 18th, and departed for Mayport the same day. She subsequently returned to Charleston and was assigned to the 6th Naval District. Swatane was reclassified YTB-344 (large harbor tug) on 15 May 1944 and YTM-344 (medium harbor tug) in February 1962. She was placed in reserve, out of commission, in September 1962 at Charleston, S.C., and struck from the Navy list in September 1964.