(Tug No. 28: dp. 1,000 (est.); 1. 156'8; b. 30'0; dr. 14'7 (mean); s. 13.0 k. (est.); cpl. 44; a. 1 mg.; cl. Bagaduce)

The first Sunnadin, a tug, was laid down on 3 December 1918 at the Puget Sound Navy Yard as Katakdin; renamed Sunnadin on 24 February 1919; launched on 28 February 1919; and commissioned on 20 October 1919.

Sunnadin was assigned to the 14th Naval District and spent almost a quarter of a century in the Hawaiian Islands operating from Pearl Harbor, towing Navy ships and other sea-going craft between ports in the 14th Naval District. During that time, she changed designations twice. On 17 July 1920 when the Navy first adopted alpha-numeric hull designations, she became A T-28.

She was in Pearl Harbor during the Japanese attack there on 7 December 1941. On 15 May 1944, she was redesignated A TO-98. In the fall of 1945, Sunnadin was ordered to report to the Commandant, 12th Naval District, for decommissioning and disposal. Sunnadin was decommissioned on 4 April 1946. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946. On 15 January 1947, she was delivered to the Maritime Commission at Mare Island, Calif., for disposal.

Sunnadin earned one battle star during World War II.