Seminole II ScTug
(ScTug: t. 122; 1. 102'6"; b. 20'; dph. 10'7"; a. 3 guns)
The second Seminole—an iron-hulled screw tug built in 1879 at Camden, N.J.—was purchased by the Navy as Kate Jones on 6 June 1898 from the Boston Towboat Company; and was commissioned on 23 July 1898.
The ship served at the Boston Navy Yard as a general purpose tug during the Spanish-American War and its aftermath. She was decommissioned on 6 September 1898 but remained in service at Boston performing the same type of duty. She was transferred to the War Department on 16 March 1900.