(SS-121: dp. 876 (surf.), 1,092 (subm.), 1. 231'; b. 21'10"; dr. 13'1"; s. 15 k. (surf.), 11 k. (subm.);cpl. 38; a. 4 21" tt., 1 4"; cl. S-3)
S-16 (SS-121) was laid down on 19 March 1918 by the Lake Torpedo Boat Co., Bridgeport, Conn.; launched on 23 December 1919; sponsored by Mrs. Archibald W. McNeil, and commissioned on 17 December 1920, Lt. Comdr. Andrew C. Bennett in command.
Departing from New London, Conn., on 31 May 1921, S-16 was attached to SubDiv 18 and proceeded via the Panama Canal, California, Hawaii, and Guam to the Philippine Islands. She arrived at Cavite, Luzon, on 1 December.
In 1922, she sailed from Cavite on 11 October, visited Hong Kong from the 14th to the 28th, and returned to Cavite on 1 November. Sailing from Manila on 15 May 1923, S-16 visited Shanghai, Chefoo, and Chinwangtao before returning, via Woosung and Amoy, to Cavite on 11 September. In the summer of 1924, she visited Shanghai, Tsingtao, Chefoo, and Chinwangtao, returning to Olongapo on 23 September. Departing Cavite on 3 November, she arrived at Mare Island, Calif., on 30 December.
She remained at Mare Island in 1925 and 1926, and operated along the California coast in 1927, with a visit to Hawaii in July and August. From February 1928 into 1935, S-16 served in the Panama Canal area although she visited Baltimore from 15 May to 5 June 1933. Departing Coco Solo on 25 January 1935, S-16 was decommissioned at Philadelphia on 22 May of that year.
S-16 was recommissioned on 2 December 1940. Following voyages to Bermuda and the Panama Canal Zone, she operated at St. Thomas from December 1941 through March 1942, in the Panama Canal area from April into August, and from New London during September and into June 1944, with operations at Casco Bay, Maine.
She was decommissioned on 4 October 1944 and struck from the Navy list. S-16 was intentionally destroyed by sinking on 3 April 1945, off Key West, Fla.