Shamrock SwStr



(SwStr: t. 974; 1. 205'; b. 35'; dph. 12', dr. 8'10"; s. 13 k.; cpl. 160, a. 2 100-pdr. P.r. 4 9'' D. sb., 2 20-par. P.r., 2 24-par. how., 1 heavy 1 2-pdr. sb.)

Shamrock-a double-ended side wheel gunboat built at the New York Navy Yard-was launched on St. Patrick's Day, 17 March 1863, sponsored by Miss Sallie Bryant, daughter of Mr. William Cullen Bryant and commissioned on 13 June 1864, Comdr. William H. Macomb in command.

The next day, Shamrock was ordered to proceed directly to the sounds of North Carolina for duty in that area as part of the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron. At that time, Union naval forces in the sounds were threatened by the Confederate ironclad ram Albemarle, which in April had sunk Union side wheel steamer, Southfield, and had enabled Southern forces to recapture Plymouth, N.C.

On the 20th, Shamrock reached Hatteras Inlet where orders awaited her to enter Albemarle Sound and take station off the mouth of the Roanoke River to guard against the reappearance of the formidable Rebel ram. For the next four months, Shamrock's operations concentrated on protecting Union shipping from Albemarle, which was undergoing repairs up the Roanoke.

Late in October, she served as the mother ship of the steam launch which Lt. William Barker Cushing had brought to the sounds from New York City to attack Albemarle. On the night of 27 and 28 October, the launch-partly manned by volunteers from Shamrock and towing Shamrock's cutter-ascended the Roanoke and exploded a spar torpedo against the ram's port quarter. Just before the explosion, Cushing ordered the cutter to east off.

Albermarle and the launch quickly sank and, for the first time since spring, Union naval forces enjoyed undisputed control of the North Carolina sounds. When the fortunate Cushing made his way back and reported his~ success, Comdr. Macomb—the senior naval officer in the area-promptly took advantage of his new ascendancy and attacked Plymouth. Shamrock, lashed to tug Bazely led a fleet through the winding channels of Middle River on 30 October and the next day engaged the town's batteries and rifle pits from close range. Commodore Hull suffered heavy damage in the violent battle which ensued. After the Union bombardment detonated a large magazine, the Confederate defenders evacuated the fortress. Soon a landing party raised the Stars and Stripes over Plymouth.

Through the ensuing winter, Comdr. Macomb, in Shamrock, directed operations in the sounds, assuring the Union control of these strategic waters as General Grant relentlessly tightened his grip on Richmond, and General Sherman pushed his army northward from Georgia through the Carolinas. On 20 March 1865 Macomb reported the raising of Albemarle.

Shamrock remained in the sounds directing affairs afloat in the area for several months after the Confederate collapse. In mid-summer, she returned north and was decommissioned at the Philadelphia Navy Yard on 15 August.

Recommissioned on 17 October 1865, Shamrock next served in the Caribbean and was one of the nine ships comprising the West Indies Squadron which was reestablished on 2 December. The following year, the double ender crossed the Atlantic for service in European waters. She returned to the United States in July 1868 and was decommissioned at the Philadelphia Navy

Yard on 10 August. Shamrock was sold on 1 September 1868 to Mr. E. Stannard of Westbrook, Conn.