(Mon: t. 614; 1. 225'4Yz"; b. 45'17/s", dph. 11'5/8", dr.
8'3"; s. 9 k.; cpl. 60; a. 2 11" D. sb.; cl. Casco)
While Squando—a light draft monitor built by McKay & Aldus at East Boston, Mass.—was on the ways under construction, the launching of Chino on 5 May 1864 revealed that the displacement of that Casco class monitor had been miscalculated, and that, as a result, she had too little freeboard to be seaworthy. The Navy attempted to correct this defect in other Casco-class monitors by making various changes in the unfinished ships. In the case of Squando, on 24 June 1864, Secretary of the Navy Welles ordered the contractor to raise the monitor's deck 22 inches to give her sufficient freeboard for safe coastal operations.
Her turret and pilot house were installed as originally planned.
The ship was launched on 6 January 1865, and work on her was completed on 30 March. She was delivered to the Navy at the Boston Navy Yard on 5 April, and she was commissioned there on 6 June 1865, Acting Master George H. Leinas in command.
After being fitted out at Boston and New York, the monitor departed New York harbor on 30 July 1865 and proceeded to Charleston, S.C., for service in the North Atlantic Squadron. Following duty in that historic South Carolina harbor, encouraging the return of stability to the still uneasy birthplace of the Confederacy, Squando returned north in May 1866. She was decommissioned on 26 May 1866 and laid up at League Island, Pa.
While in reserve, the ship was renamed Erebus on 15 June 1869, but she resumed the name Squando on 10 August of the same year. The monitor was broken up at League Island in 1874.