Sanderling II AMc-11
(AMc-11: dp. 180, 1. 77'8"; b. 20'6", dr. 3'9"; s.
10 k.; cpl. 16; a. 2 .30 cal. mg.)
The second Sanderling, built in 1937 as the wooden purse seiner New Conti di Savoia by the Harbor Boat Works, Terminal Island, Calif., was purchased for Navy use on 28 October 1940 from the New Conti di Savoia Fishing Corp., San Pedro, Calif., converted to a coastal minesweeper by the Al Larson Boat Shop, San Pedro, Calif.; and placed in service as Sanderling (AMc-11) on 18 April 1941.
Based at San Diego, Sanderling conducted local minesweeping and patrol operations in the 11th Naval District until placed out of service on 18 September 1944. She was struck from the Navy list on 14 October, sold back to her former owner in February 1945, and delivered to that corporation the following May.
The name Sanderling was assigned to AM-410 on 16 May 1945. However, the contract for her construction was canceled on 12 August 1945.