(ARS-36: dp. 1,615; 1. 183'3"; b. 37'; dr. 14'8; s. 12
k.; cpl. 65; a. 1 3"; cl. Weight)
Swivel (ARS-36), ex-BARS-8, ex-York Salvor, was laid down on 28 April 1942 by the American Car and Foundry Co., Wilmington, Del.; launched on 6 May 1943; sponsored by Mrs. T. W. Goslin; and commissioned on 6 October 1943, Lt. (jg.) M. C. Sibitsky in command.
Swivel moved down the coast and held her shakedown in the Chesapeake Bay area. On 15 December 1943, the wooden-hulled salvage ship sailed in a convoy for Falmouth, England, via the Azores Islands. She arrived in the United Kingdom and operated there from 5 January to 25 June 1944. Her primary duties consisted of towing and preparing small ships for the invasion of France. On 25 June, she crossed the channel to the Omaha Beach assault area and began clearing the beaches to expedite the landing of troops and supplies. This duty, including towing several ships back to England, continued until November.
Swivel proceeded to Le Havre, France, on 12 November, and assisted in clearing that harbor. She moved to Cherbourg on 25 December 1944, helped clear the harbor, and assisted ships there until 27 June 1945. She returned to Le Havre on that date and engaged in clearing screws, inspecting underwater bottoms, and making temporary repairs until returning to the United States on 31 October 1945 for disposition. On 13 April 1946, Swivel reported to the 1st Naval District; was inspected, and found beyond economical repair. A Board of Inspection and Survey found her surplus to Navy requirements and recommended that she be disposed of.
Swivel was decommissioned on 4 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July. She was sold to Mr. L. O. Butts, West Newton, Mass., on 6 December 1946 and scrapped.
Swivel received one battle star for World War II service.