(AMC-105: dp. 195; 1. 98'5; b. 23'6; dr. 10'8; s. 10 k.; cpl. 17; a. 2 .50 cal. mg., 2 .30 cal. mg.; cl. Acme)
The first Stalwart (AMC-105) was laid down on 24 March 1941 by Snow Shipyards Co., Rockland, Maine launched on 28 August 1941; sponsored by Miss Van Meter Blackie; and commissioned on 22 January 1942 Lt. (jg.) F. W. Dieht, USNR, in command.
Stalwart sailed to Yorktown, Va., where she began a 10-day training period, on 25 February, after which she was routed to Key West, Fla. She arrived there on 16 March and was assigned to the 7th Naval District for duty. The minesweeper served that district through the war years until 30 June 1945. She was then assigned to Mayport, Fla., in the 6th Naval District. Her minesweeping equipment was removed, and she was detailed duty as a target towing ship in connection with aircraft training at the Naval Auxiliary Air Station.
The designation of Stalwart was changed from AMC-105 to IX-231 on 10 August 1945. She decommissioned on 2 August 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 13 December 1946.