(AN-53: dp. 1,275 (tl.); 1. 194'6Y2~, b. 34'7; dr. 18'8Yz"; s. 12.1 k. (tl.); cpl. 56; a. 1 3"; cl. Ailanthus)
Spiecewood was laid down as YN-72 on 25 May 1943 at Stockton, Calif., by the Pollock-Stockton Shipbuilding Co.; redesignated AN-53 on 20 January 1944; launched on 6 December 1943, and commissioned on 7 April 1944, Lt. Comdr. Max A. Morrison, USNR, in command.
The net layer completed shakedown training and post-shakedown availability by 19 June and towed YO-92 from San Pedro to Hawaii, arriving at Pearl Harbor on the 29th. There she was assigned to the 14th Naval District and relieved the Coast Guard tug Balsam (WAGL-62) at the Phoenix Islands, located east of the Gilbert and Ellice groups. Spicewood remained in that group of small atolls until late in the year She returned to Pearl Harbor on 4 December. On 14 February 1945, she sailed for Eniwetok, Ulithi, and Leyte. By mid-April, she was at Okinawa as an element of Task Force 51. There she operated with Task Group 52.8, the Net and Buoy Group, at Kerama Retto. Hostilities ceased in the western Pacific on 15 August, but Spicewood remained at Okinawa until late October. She headed for Pearl Harbor on the 29th and reached her destination on 17 November. After a week at Oahu, she continued east and made San Diego on 4 December. She sailed from there to San Pedro between 6 and 7 December and was decommissioned on 20 February 1946. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1946, and her hulk was sold on 18 April 1947 to the Van Camp Seafood Co., Terminal Island, Calif.
Spicewood (AN-53) earned one battle star during World War II.