Sea Cloud IX-99
(IX-99: dp. 2,323, 1. 316'; b. 49'2", dr. 28'; s. 14 k.
cpl. 72; a. 2 3")
Sea Cloud (IX-99) was launched as Hussar in 1931 by the Friederich Krupp Germaniawerft, A. G., Kiel Germany. The four-masted bark was acquired in 1935 by Mr. Joseph E. Davies, United States Ambassador to the Soviet Union, and renamed Sea Cloud.
When Ambassador Davies was reassigned to Belgium Sea Cloud went along. As World War II was threatening and larger vessels were in danger of being mistaken for naval ships, the shiny black yacht was repainted white to assure safety.
On 7 January 1942, Sea Cloud was chartered for one dollar per year by the Navy for use by the Coast Guard. After conversions were made at Curtis Bay, Md., the vessel was put on Coast Guard weather patrol, departing Boston on 23 July. She operated out of Boston in this role until 20 April 1944, during which time she patrolled the North Atlantic.
From 5 to 10 March 1944, Sea Cloud underwent overhaul, fueling, and preparing for sea at Atlantic Yard, East Boston, Mass. Departing the harbor on the 11th, Sea Cloud resumed her weather patrols until relieved by USCGC Sorrell on 4 April.
On 25 June, Sea Cloud arrived in Argentia, Newfoundland, for voyage repairs.
Sea Cloud was decommissioned on 4 November 1944 at East Boston and returned to the owner's agent that same day. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 13 November 1944.
Sea Cloud was sold to a shipping firm in Jacksonville, Fla., on 18 August 1955. Shortly thereafter, she was purchased by Generalissimo Rafael Trujillo of the Dominican Republic. The former patroller served as his presidential yacht under the name Angelita. After Trujillo's assassination in 1964, the four-master was taken over by the government of the Dominican Republic and renamed Patria. She has since been sold by the Dominicans, renamed Antarna, and converted into a luxury charter yacht.