(IX-81: dp. 6,564; 1. 535'; b. 58')
Sable (IX-81), formerly named Greater Buffalo, was built in 1924 by the American Shipbuilding Co. Lorain Ohio; acquired for Navy use on 7 August 1942 by WSA from the Detroit and Cleveland Navigation Co., Detroit, Mich.; named Sable on 19 September 1942 converted at the Erie Plant, American Shipbuilding Co., Buffalo, N. Y., and commissioned on 8 May 1943; Capt. William A. Schoech in command.
With the installation of a carrier deck, Sable was designated for use as a training vessel for qualification of carrier pilots. She was assigned to the 9th Naval District on 1 June 1943 and qualified pilots for carrier operations until decommissioned on 7 November 1945. Sable was struck from the Navy list on 28 November 1945. Sold by the Maritime Commission to H. H. Buncher Co., on 7 July 1948, she was scrapped on the 27th.