St Mary's River LSMR-528
St. Marys River
Rivers in Florida and Georgia, in Ohio and Indiana and in Michigan.
(LSMR-528: dp. 1,084; 1. 206'3"; b. 34'6"; dr. 6'8"; s. 12.6 k., accom. 138 a 1 5", 2 twin 40mm., 10 rkt.Launc., 8 20mm., 4 4.2' M.; el. LSMR-501)
St. Marys River (LSMR-528) was originally authorized as LSM-528. Reclassified LSMR 528 on 21 April 1945, she was laid down on 19 May 1945 at the Brown Shipbuilding Co., Inc., Houston, Tex., Launched on 16 June 1945, and commissioned on 2 September 1945, Lt. Norman E. Wallin, USNR, in command.
On 6 September, LSMR-528 sailed for Galveston, arriving the next day. She sailed for Charleston, S.C., on 12 September. However, after two days at sea, she ran into a storm and was diverted to Naval Frontier Base, Burrwood, La. After the storm LSMR-528 resumed her voyage and arrived at Charleston on 21 September. While there, the ship had her rocket launchers and mortars installed.
Departing Charleston on 12 September, LSMR-528 sailed for Little Creek, Va., arriving on 14 September. After leave and upkeep, she began shakedown training on 15 October. Completing shakedown training on 15 November, she reported a week later to Commander LSMR Squadrons, Little Creek. On 29 November, she sailed for Green Cove Springs, Fla., with orders to report for inactivation. LSMR-528 was decommissioned in March 1946. Named St. Marys River on 1 October 1958, she was struck from the Navy list on the same day. She was sold on 4 August 1959 to Fleet Storage Corp.