Strafford County LST-1142
(LST-1142: dp. 3,960; 1. 328'; b. 50', dr. 11'2, s.
11.6 k.; cpl. 119; trp. 147; a. 8 40mm.; cl. LST-542)
Strafford County (LST-1142) was laid down on 25 January 1945 by the Chicago Bridge and Iron Co., Seneca, Ill.; launched on 23 April 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Emily S. Ekdahl; and commissioned on 12 May 1945.
The LST moved down the Mississippi River to Gulfport, Miss., for fitting out and a brief shakedown cruise, followed by a yard period from 6 to 11 June. She then sailed for the Pacific and was routed from Pearl Harbor to Guam, via Eniwetok. The 1142 arrived at Apra Harbor, Guam, on 12 August. During the next six months, she shuttled between Okinawa, Sasebo, Japan; and Shanghai, China. The ship stood out of Pearl Harbor on 6 March 1946 bound for the west coast and inactivation. She arrived at Seattle, Wash., on 17 March and, a week later, moved to Astoria, Oreg., where she joined the 19th Fleet on 24 March and was placed in an inactive status.
Strafford County was placed in reserve, in commission, on 10 June 1946 and assigned to the Columbia River Group. On 15 November 1946, she was decommissioned. The name Strafford County was assigned to the LST on 1 July 1955.
Strafford County was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1958. In 1963, the ship was sold to the Foss Launch ~ Tug Co., Seattle, Wash. She was reduced to a barge and operated under the name Foss 202.