Spartanburg County LST-1192
(LST-1192: dp. 8,450, 1. 522'3~; b. 69'6"; dr. 14'8"; s. 20 k.; cpl. 231; a. 4 3"; cl. Newport)
Spartanburg County (LST-1192) was laid down on 7 February 1970 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel and Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 7 November 1970; sponsored by Mrs. Neville Holcombe; and commissioned on 1 September 1971, Comdr. P. R. Royse in command.
Spartanburg County—a tank landing ship of a new design—possesses a bow ramp which is pulled over her bow and supported by two derrick arms. She also has a stern gate which enables her to launch amphibious vehicles. Her speed, almost twice as fast as that of her World War II predecessors, permits her to operate with high speed amphibious forces.
Spartanburg County was fitted out at Long Beach and returned to San Diego for structural hull modifications. On 5 November, she got underway for the east coast. After a stop at Acapulco, Mexico, she transited the Panama Canal on 15 November. The ship conducted shore bombardment exercises off Culebra Island on the 18th and, after making a port call at St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, sailed for her home port, Little Creek, Va. There she was assigned to Amphibious Squadron (PhibRon) 6, Atlantic Fleet, on 24 November 1971. On 6 January 1972, she sailed for Guantanamo Bay to begin shakedown which lasted until 23 February. The LST has conducted operations and participated in amphibious exercises along the east coast and in the Caribbean since that date and into November 1974, was still assigned to PhibRon g at Little Creek.