Sloat II DE-245


Sloat II

(DE-245: dp. 1,200; 1. 306'; b. 36'7"; dr. 12'3"; s. 21.2 k.; cpl. 216; a. 3 3", 2 40mm., 10 20mm., 2 dct., 8dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.), 3 21" tt.; cl. Edsall)

The second Sloat (DE-245) was laid down on 21 November 1942 by Brown Shipbuilding Co., Houston, Tex.; launched on 21 January 1943, sponsored by Mrs. J. B. Deason, and commissioned on 16 August 1943, Lt. Comdr. E. E. Garcia in command.

Sloat moved to New Orleans on 28 August and sailed from there on 5 September to Bermuda for her shakedown cruise. Following a post-shakedown yard availability period at Charleston, S. C., from 7 to 17 October, the escort sailed to New York. She escorted convoy UGS-22 from there, on 22 October, to Norfolk and returned. The first week in November, she escorted UGS23 to Norfolk. On 11 November, Sloat, as a unit of Escort Division (CortDiv) 7, stood out of New York with convoy UGS-24 bound for Norfolk and North Africa. The convoy arrived at Casablanca on 2 December, and the escort picked up GUS-26 there, five days later, and returned to New York on 25 December 1943.

On 10 January 1944, Sloat joined UGS-30 en route to Casablanca and returned with GUS-29 on 22 February. The escort joined the New York section of convoy UGS36 on 10 March and sailed to Norfolk where it rendezvoused with the main body. The convoy, consisting of 72 merchant ships and 18 LST's, w~as guarded by Task Force (TF) 64. En route to Bizerte, Tunisia, the convoy was attacked by the Luftwaffe on 1 April, approximately 56 miles west of Algiers. Two planes were shot down and two damaged while only one ship in the convoy was damaged. The convoy arrived at Bizerte on 3 April. Eight days later Sloat joined another convoy and returned to New York on 1 May.

Following training exercises in Casco Bay, Me., Sloat sailed from New York with Tripoli (CVE-64) in Task Group (TG) 22.4, a submarine hunter-killer group on 24 May. The group put into Argentia, Newfoundland from 12 to 15 June and then went back to sea. Sloat returned to New York on 15 June and operated from there until 7 August when she sailed with TG 23.9 for the Caribbean. In September, they were operating off Newfoundland and returned to New York on 9 October

1944. The escort operated along the east coast until 24 January 1945 when she joined TG 22.4 to hunt U-boats in the North Atlantic. Sloat returned to the east coast and operated from New York to the Caribbean until 15 July when she was ordered to San Diego and duty with the Pacific Fleet.

Sloat arrived at San Diego on 26 July and was ordered to sail for Pearl Harbor five days later. She arrived there on 7 August, and was ordered further west. From 20 August 1945 to 1 May 1946, she made supply runs to Saipan, Guam, Eniwetok, the Caroline Islands, Iwo Jima, and Shanghai. She returned to San Pedro, Calif., on 1 May 1946 and was routed to Charleston, arriving on 20 May. On 12 September, she 6ailed to Green Cove Springs, Fla., for inactivation. She was placed in reserve, out of commission, in January 1947. Sloat was struck from the Navy list on 2 January 1971 and sold to Peck Equipment Co., Portsmouth, Va., on 5 April 1972 for scrap.

Sloat received one battle star for World War II service.