Reynolds I DE-2


Reynolds I

(DE - 2: dp. 1,140, 1. 289'5", b. 35'1", dr. 11'10"; s. 21 k. cpl. 156; a. 3 3", 4 1.1", 9 20mm., 2 dct., 8 dcp.,1 dep (hh.); cl. Evarts)

DE-42, originally assigned to the United Kingdom, was laid down on 12 January 1943 as BDE-42 by the Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Wash., redesignated DE-42 on 16 June 1943 named Reynolds on 23 June 1943; launched on 1 August 19i3; and christened by Mrs. D. L. Reynolds widow of Ensign Reynolds, and commissioned on 1 November 1943, Lt. Cmdr. Edward P. Adams in command.

Following shakedown off southern California, Reynolds departed the west coast 13 January 1944 and steamed to Pearl Harbor. Further training followed and on 27 January she sailed west in the screen of White Plains (CVE-66) then ferrying replacement aircraft to forward areas. Arriving at Majuro on 4 February, she accompanied White Plains to Kwajalein then back to Majuro, whence they steamed via Makin to Pearl Harbor, arriving on 23 February. Reynolds then operated under Commander, Submarine Training Foree, into May and after conducting an ASW demonstration for Australian observers, she resumed oceanic escort duties with a run to Eniwetok. Arriving 20 June she joined TG 12.2, a hunterkiller group, and on 28 Juiy assisted Wyman (DE-38) in sinking l-h6.

Detaehed from hunter-killer duty 9 August, Reynolds returned to Pearl Harbor. Departing again on 20 August as a unit of TU 31.4.4, the Western Garrison Foree for the Palau operation, she arrived at Kossol Passage on 20 September and until 5 October, remained in the area, patrolling the northern entrance to the passage. Between 5 October and 14 November shc escorted ships between Manus and Purvis Bay, then proceeded to Ulithi where she joined TG 30.8 on the 17th. Operating primarily with that group for the remainder of the war she screened the auxiliaries as they replenished the task groups of TF 38/58 off the Philippines, Formosa, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa.

After the cessation of Pacific hostilities, Reynolds continued to screen the logistic ships. Detached on 4 September she proceeded to Tokyo Bay. There until the 7th, she screened refueling operations for TF 16, then steamed via Ulithi for the United States and inactivation. Arriving at San Francisco in mid-October, Reynolds decommissioned at Mare Island on 5 December 194S. Struck from the Navy list on 19 December 1945, she was sold and delivered to Mr. John L. Key, San Francisco, on 28 April 1947.

Reynolds (DE-42) earned eight battle stars during World War II.