McCoy Reynolds DE-440


McCoy Reynolds

McCoy Reynolds, born 13 September. 1916 in Pippapasses, Ky., enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve at Louisville, Ky., 23 January 1942. He was killed in action on Guadalcanal 25 November 1942 after boldly exposing himself to destroy a Japanese machinegun nest in fighting to defend Henderson Field. Private Reynolds was posthumously awarded the Silver Star for the conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity without regard for personal safety.

(DE-440: dp. 1,350; 1. 306'; b. 36'8"; dr. 9'5"; s. 24 k.; cpl. 186; a. 2 5", 4 40mm., 10 20mm., 3 21" tt.. 2 dct., 8 dcp., I dcp. (hh.) ; cl. John C. Butler)

McCoy Reynolds (DE-140) was laid down by Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Newark, N.J., 18 November 1943: launched 22 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Tilden Reynolds; and commissioned at Brooklyn Navy Yard 2 May 1944. Lt. Comdr. Ewdin K. Winn in command.

After shakedown off Bermuda. McCoy Reynolds departed Norfolk 11 July to escort Ranger (CV-4) to the Canal Zone. arriving 16 July. She transited the canal 26 July: reached San Diego 6 August; and, between 13 and 19 August. screened transports and supply ships to the Hawaiian Islands.

Sailing 3 September, McCoy Reynolds escorted ships via the Admiralties to the Palaus. From 20 to 24 September she screened shore bombardment ships aiding in the conquest of Peleliu by U.S. marines. On 25 September, en route to join TF 57 out of Guam, McCoy Reynolds made underwater contact with a suspected submarine, and for 2 hours launched four depth charge attacks without results. At 0203 26 September, she picked up a contact on surface radar at about 9,000 yards. Five minutes later it disappeared; however, at 0213 her sonar regained contact at a range of 2,500. At 0219 she launched the first of seven vigorous, intensive attacks with hedgehogs and depth charges on the target, probably RO-47. Four hours later, a violent underwater explosion was felt, and her lookouts spotted an oil slick which by noon covered an area of 2 square miles.

Arriving Guam 28 September, McCoy Reynolds served on convoy and escort duty; 25 and 26 October she screened ships of TG 30.8 east of Luzon as they refueled hardhitting carriers of the Fast Carrier Task Force. She escorted two merchant troopships to Leyte Gulf 11 to 14 November, sailed in convoy 15 November, and arrived at Kossol, Palaus, the 18th. With Conklin (DE-439), she began a a sonar search at 105.5 19 November for .1 submarine that had been spotted in the western entrance to Kossol Roads. Four hours later she made contact and closed to attack with hedgehogs and depth charges. McCoy Reynolds and Conklin made a total of eight attacks until an underwater explosion occurred and oil and debris gushed to the surface at about 1745, marking the sinking of Japanese submarine 1-37.

Through March 1945, McCoy Reynolds escorted convoys in the Marianas and Marshalls and conducted antisubmarine patrols out of Ulithi and 'Manus. She departed Ulithi 26 March to screen the Logistics Support Group of the Fifth Fleet's Past Carrier Task Force during the Okinawa campaign. During her third escort mission on 12 May McCoy Reynolds went to the aid of Bunker Hill (CV-17), struck by two kamikazes the day before with

heavy losses and serious damage. McCoy Reynolds guarded the carrier to Ulithi, arriving 14 May, then returned to the Logistics Support Group, with whom she experienced the typhoon of 5 June which severely damaged more than 20 ships of the fleet.

After a convoy run to and from UIithi, McCoy Reynolds carried out antisubmarine and antiair patrols off Okinawa during the closing weeks of the Pacific war, On 12 July she captured two enemy soldiers attempting to escape from the island in a dugout canoe. On 9 September she rescued two survivors of an Army fighter which had flamed out off Hagushi. She made passenger, freight, and mail runs from Okinawa to Nagasaki and Sasebo until 15 October when she sailed for Saipan, Pearl Harbor, and San Diego.

Arriving &-in Diego 5 November, she decommissioned there 31 May 1946 and entered the Pacific Reserve Fleet. She recommissioned 28 March 1951, Lt. Comdr. Peter S. Smith in command.

Following shakedown, she departed San Diego 8 July an(] arrived Pearl Harbor the 14th She operated out of Pearl Harbor until 3 May 1952 when %he deployed for the Far East.

Sailing via Midway and Yokosuka, Japan, she arrived off the., eastern coast of Korea 17 May. The next day she began ,;Iiore bombardment at Songjin, and on 21 May she destroyed it North Korean railroad train. She alternated duty off Korea with escort runs from Japan to Okinawa and with Formosa patrol duty until departing 20 August for Pearl Harbor, arriving the 29th.

McCoy Reynolds operated out of Pearl Harbor during the next 16 months and deployed to the Par East 4 Jannary 1954. She reached Manila Bay IS January and after exercises with the Royal Thai Navy carried out training operations in the South China Sea. After serving as station ship at Hong Kong 20 March to 12 May, she exercised in the South China Sea mid Gulf of Siam until making passage to Pearl Harbor, 29 June to 11 July.

McCoy Reynolds sailed 31 May 1955 for surveillance patrols off the Carolines and service as a search and rescue ship in the mid-Pacific, returning to Pearl Harbor 22 October. She participated in antisubmarine warfare, escort. and, other training until sailing for the west coast 24 August 1956. She arrived San Francisco 31 August, underwent overhaul at Hunter's Point and decommissioned at Treasure Island 7 February 1057. Under the Military Assistance Program, she was loaned to the Government of Portugal, with whom she serves is Corte Real (F-334). Struck from the U.S. Naval Register I November 1968, she was sold to Portugal the next month.

McCoy Reynolds received four battle ,4ars for World War 11 service and one battle star for Korean service.