Manlove DE-36



Electrician Arthur Cleon Manlove, born 19 March 1901 in Tipton, Ind., enlisted in the Navy 28 August 1923. He was appointed a warrant officer aboard Augusta 4 December 1936 and later served in Colorado. On duty aboard Arizona from 3 November 1941, he died with other members of the crew when that vessel was lost at Pearl Harbor 7 December 1941.

(DE-36: dp. 1,140; 1. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 8'3"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 156; a. 3 3", 4 1.1", 9 20mm., 2 dct., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.) ; cl. Evarts)

Manlove was laid down as BDE-36, 24 February 1943, by the Navy Yard, Mare island, Calif.; redesignated DE-36, 16 June 1943; launched 28 July INS; sponsored by Mrs. Arthur 0. Manlove, widow of Electrician, Arthur C. Manlove; and commissioned 8 November 1943, Lt. Comdr. J. P. Ingle in command.

After postshakedown repairs at San Francisco, Manlove escorted a convoy to Pearl Harbor and upon arrival, 16 January 1944, commenced local training operations. The next month she made one round-trip voyage to Majuro, Marshall Islands, returning on the 18th of February. She again departed for the Marshalls on the 28th. From 5 March until 16 May she cruised -the Marshall Islands' area on antisubmarine patrols and in hunter-killer (HUK) operations. On 24 March, during her first HUK assignment, she located the Japanese transport submarine 1-32, then attempting to replenish the enemy garrison at Wotje. In the ensuing coordinated depth charge run, Manlove and her companion, PC-1135, sank the Japanese boat.

Manlove departed Majuro 16 May for Kwajalein, beginning convoy escort duty between the two atolls. In mid-June she extended her escort area and screened fleet oilers to a refueling rendezvous at sea off the Marianas. She then sailed to Eniwetok for a month of patrol. In early August she returned to escort duty and joined a convoy headed for Hawaii. The convoy arrived Pearl Harbor 29 August. Following repairs Manlove participated in training operations with submarines in Hawaiian waters until her departure for the Marshalls 8 October.

The escort arrived Eniwetok 17 October. From that time until the following March she was primarily engaged in screening convoys between Eniwetok and Ulithi, Caroline Islands. She briefly interrupted her cruises between these islands in early February 1945 for an escort convoy assignment to Manus, Admiralty Islands.

On 9 March, Manlove departed Eniwetok for Saipan to join units of the 5th Fleet assembling for the Okinawa campaign. She sailed with the invasion fleet 26 March and arrived on patrol station off Okinawa 2 April. There she assisted in repelling enemy air attacks until damaged 11 April by an exploding Japanese airplane. After repairs at Guam she returned to patrols off Okinawa. With only one break in this duty, escorting a convoy to the Philippines and back, she continued to contribute to the success of the Okinawa campaign until ordered back to the United States 5 July.

Proceeding via Eniwetok and Pearl Harbor, Manlove arrived at Seattle 26 June 1945. She was inactivated at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard; decommissioned 16 November 1945; and was sold for scrap to A. G. Schoonmaker Co., Inc., of New York City, 4 December 1947.

Manlove received five battle stars for World Wax II service.