< Hodges DE-231

Hodges DE-231



(DE: 231: dp. 1,450; 1. 306', b. 36'10"; dr. 9'8", s. 24 k.
cpl. 186; a. 2 5", 4 40mm., 10 20mm., 2 dct., 9 dcp.,
3 21" tt.; cl. Rudderow)

Hodges (DE: 231) was launched 9 December 1943 by the Charleston Navy Yard; sponsored by Miss Dorothy Jane Hodges, sister of Ensign Hodges; and commissioned 27 May 1944, Lt. Comdr. Victor B. Staadecker in command.

After shakedown off Bermuda, Hodges returned to Charleston before steaming to the British West Indies for antisubmarine patrol. After more operations along the East Coast, she sailed 14 October 1944 from New York, reaching New Guinea 20 November via the Canal Zone. After operations off New Guinea, Hodges sailed 20 December for the Philippines where she took up antisubmarine patrol and escort duty.

In early January 1945, Hodges sailed with Vice Admiral -Barbey's San Fabian Attack Force for the landings at Lingayen Gulf, 9 January. Shortly after 0700, 9 January, as Hodges was on her screening station a kamikaze started a dive on her. Misjudging the target angle, the plane knocked down her foremast and radio antennas and splashed without inflicting a single casualty. Hodges quickly made emergency repairs and continued providing air coverage thus playing a key role in successfully landing the 6th Infantry Division and General Wing's 43d Division.

After repairs at Manus Hodges arrived Humboldt Bay, New Guinea, 15 February to escort a convoy to Leyte.

Through the last of March she was assigned patrol and escort duty for convoys bringing in supplies to the Philippines. On 11 April, Hodges conducted shore bombardment on enemy gun emplacements in the vicinity of Legaspi, Luzon, then for the remainder of April and May operated out of Manila Bay training with submarines.

After more patrol and escort duty out of Subic Bay, Hodges sailed for Ulithi 26 June. From 1 July until 18 December she was assigned patrol and plane guard duty between Ulithi and Okinawa. Hodges departed Samar 18 December, arriving San Francisco 9 January 1946 via Eniwetok and Pearl Harbor. Hodges decommissioned at San Diego 22 June 1946 and joined the Reserve Fleet, where she remains.

Hodges received one battle star for World War II service.