< Herbert A. Jones DE-137

Herbert A. Jones DE-137


Herbert A. Jones

(DE-137: dp. 1,200, 1. 306', b. 36'7", dr. 8'7", s. 21 k.
cpl.186;a.3 3", 240mm., 820 mm., 3tt.; 2dct.,8dcp.,1dcp. (h.h.); cl. Edsall)

Herbert a. Jones (DE-137) was launched 19 January 1943 by the Consolidated Steel Corp., Orange, Tex.; sponsored by Mrs. Joanne Ruth Jones, widow; and commissioned 21 July 1943, Lt. Comdr. Alfred W. Gardes, Jr., in command.

After a Caribbean shakedown, Herbert a. Jones reported to the Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, D.C., to participate in experiments on the method of control used by the Nazis in their glider bombs. The new destroyer escort departed Norfolk 7 October for the Mediterranean arriving Algiers via Gibraltar 16 October to begin a year of escort duty along the North African coast. In a German attack 6 November, Herbert a. Jones destroyed one enemy plane. As she escorted a convoy bound from Algiers to Bizerte, Herbert a. Jones & distinguished herself in an intensive 2-hour German attack the afternoon of 26 November. In addition to splashing one fighter, the ship studied the performance characteristics of enemy radio directed glider bombs. As a result of these under fire investigations, Herbert a. Jones and her sister ship Frederick C. Davis were fitted with powerful radio-jamming sets in early December to counteract and misdirect the glider bombs. This new electronic warfare capability was to find almost immediate use as Herbert a. Jones patrolled off the Italian coast 22 January 1944 while Allied troops stormed ashore to establish the Anzio beachhead. With her special gear, Herbert C. Jones jammed and decoyed into the sea the great majority of the many glider bombs directed at the naval task force. She also intercepted radio messages which enabled her to give warning of impending German air attacks. Herbert C. Jones received the Navy Unit Commendation for her work of E Anzio.

The destroyer-escort saw her next major action as she arrived off the French coast 16 August, D-day plus one, to support Operation "Anvil," the invasion of southern France. After 2 months of antisubmarine patrol, Herbert C. Jones reached New York 17 October for overhaul and coastal convoy duty.

In December 1944 she joined a hunter-killer task force for antisubmarine patrol in the Atlantic out of Norfolk. Remaining on this duty until V-10 Day, Herbert C. Jones sailed for the Pacific 24 June 1945 after training exercises in Cuba. She was at Pearl Harbor when news of the Japanese capitulation was received 15 August, and from there sailed to the Marshall Islands for precautionary air-sea patrol duty. Herbert a. Jones sailed to Green Cove Springs, Fla., via San Diego, the Panama Canal, and New York City 15 March 1946. She decommissioned and was placed in reserve 2 May 1947. In 1967 she was berthed at Philadelphia.

For her participation in World War II, Herbert a. Jones was awarded three battle stars.