< Halloran DE-305

Halloran DE-305



William Ignatius Halloran, born 23 July 1915, at Cleveland, Ohio, enlisted in the Naval Reserve as an apprentice seaman 14 August 1940. Commissioned Ensign 12 June 1941, he was assigned to Naval Air Station, San Pedro, Calif., and later to Arizona. Ens. Halloran was among those lost in Arizona at Pearl Harbor 7 December 1941.

(DE-305: dp. 1,140- 1. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 8'3", s. 21 k.;colt 156, a. 3 3", 4 1.1", 9 20mm., 2 act., 8 dcp., 1 dcp.
( h.h. ); cl.Evarts )

Halloran ( DE 305) was laid down by Mare Island Navy Yard, Vallejo, Calif., 21 June 1943; launched 14 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. L. J. Halloran, mother

and commissioned 27 May 1944, Lt. Comdr. J. G. Scripps in command.

After shakedown, Halloran departed California as a convoy escort 31 July arriving Pearl Harbor 9 August. Sailing for Eniwetok 16 August, she arrived 24 August and 2 days later she became part of the escort screen for fast oiler replenishment group steaming to the Western Pacific, Based at Manus, and later Ulithi, Halloran continued this duty until 29 November, helping to bring vital fuel to fleet units off Palau, Yap, and Luson. While moored at Ulithi 20 November, she witnessed the torpedoing of oiler Mississinewa and in company with Rall searched the harbor fruitlessly for a suspected midget submarine.

From 5 to 7 December, Halloran screened two escort carriers transporting replacement aircraft to Manus, and 14 December she sailed to escort tankers to Eniwetok. She departed 19 December for Pearl Harbor, arriving Christmas Eve. Halloran was underway again 22 January 1945, this time as a unit of the escort screen for the amphibious task force designated to capture Iwo Jima. After patrolling the area around the training site at Saipan, she served as a barrier patrol ship during the actual landings 19 February. She continued this duty until 28 February when she departed with a convoy. Steaming via Saipan and Tulagi, she reached Espiritu Santo 15 March.

The far-steaming DE's next assignment was with the Okinawa assault forces. Departing Espiritu Santo 25 March, she arrived off Okinawa 9 April and began vital antisubmarine barrier patrols. She repelled six attacking Japanese aircraft 12 April, splashing one and damaging two others, and was narrowly missed by a torpedo 20 April. After performing various other duties, including assistance to the striken I'heru~ood and escort duty to Saipan and back, she resumed her barrier patrols 30 May. A suicide plane attacked Halloran 21 June, but her gunners splashed it in the nick of time a scant 75 yards from the ship. However, an exploding bomb killed three men and caused considerable damage to hull and superstructure.

After repairs at Kerama Retto, Halloran patrolled off Ie Shima from 5 to 13 July, then assumed tactical commend of an escort screen for ILST's en route to the Philippines After arriving Leyte Gulf 17 July, she patrolled at San Pedro Bay Leyte, and Lopez Bay, Luzon, prior to departing the Philippines for the United States 10 September.

Halloran arrived San Diego 29 September and sailed 3 days later for Charleston, S.C., where she arrived 11 October. She decommissioned at Charleston 2 November 1946. Her name was struck from the Navy List 28 November 1945, and she was sold 7 March 1947.

Holloran received three battle stars for World War II service.