Eugene E Elmore DE-686


Eugene E. Elmore

Eugene Evans Elmore, born 30 June 1900 in Americas, Gal, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1922,and served in a number of ships as well as ashore before reporting 26 October 1940 to Quincy (CA-39). Lieutenant Commander Elmore was killed in action when his ship was sunk 9 August 1942 in the Battle of Savo Island.

(DE-686: dp. 1,460; 1. 306', b. 37' dr. 9.8", s. 24 k.;
cpl. 186; a. 2 6", 3 21" tt., 8 dcp., 1dcp. (hh.), 2dct.;
cl. Rudderow)

Eugene E. Elmore (DE-686) was launched 23 December 1943 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Quincy, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. Eugene E. Elmore, widow of Lieutenant Commander Elmore; and commissioned 4 February 1944, Lieutenant Commander G. L. Conkey in command.

On 22 April 1944 at Norfolk, Eugene E. Elmore joined the antisubmarine group formed around Block Island (CVE-21), and sailed for Casablanca to provide cover for convoys moving across the mid-Atlantic. During the return passage, on 29 May, Block Island was torpedoed, as was the escort Barr (DE-676). Ahrene (DE-676), dead in the water rescuing Block Island survivors, made a submarine contact, and directed Eugene E. Elmore to the target, U-649. Eugene E. Elmore sank the German submarine in 31° 13' N., 23°03' W., then stood by Barr throughout the night, next day taking off her wounded and many of her crew members. She took Barr in tow for Casablanca, and was relieved of her tow one day before reaching port 2 June.

Eugene E. Elmore returned to New York City 13 June 1944, and during the next 4 months made two voyages escorting convoys to the Mediterranean. On 3 November she got underway from New York for the South Pacific, arriving at Hollandia 11 December to join the 7th Fleet. She cleared Hollandia 30 December, and at Biak joined the escort of a convoy bound with reinforcements and supplies for newly invaded Lingayen Gulf. Arriving 12 January 1946, Eugene E. Elmore joined the ships providing antiaircraft fire to protect the assault shipping for 2 days, then sailed to San Pedro Bay to prepare for the landings at Subic Bay 29 January.

The escort vessel continued to operate out of San Pedro Bay, supporting the continuing liberation of the Philippines by escorting convoys from Biak, the Palaus, Ulithi, and New Guinea. Between 13 July 1946 and 22 August, she twice escorted convoys from the Philippines to Okinawa, and on 3 September arrived off Okinawa once more for occupation duty. In October she escorted transports carrying men to Jinsen, Korea, and on 16 October, sailed from Okinawa for San Diego, arriving 6 November. There she was decommissioned and placed in reserve 31 May 1946.

Eugene E. Elmore received four battle stars for World War II service.