< Dufilho DE-423

Dufilho DE-423



Marion William Dufilho, born 22 May 1916 in Opelousas, La., graduated from the Naval Academy 2 June 1938. On 24 August 1942, while serving as a section leader in Fighting Squadron 6 in Saratoga (CV-3), Lieutenant Dufilho was killed in action in the Battle of the Eastern Solomons. He was posthumously awarded both the Navy Cross and the Distinguished Flying Cross for his heroism and achievement in this battle, which turned back a major effort of the Japanese to reinforce Guadalcanal and Tulagi.

(DE-423: dp. 1,360; 1. 306'; b. 36'8"; dr. 9'6"; s. 24 k.;
cpl. 186; a. 2 6", 3 21" tt', 8 dcp., 1 dcp.(hh.), 2 dct,; cl.
John C. BuckCeg)

Dufilho (DE-423) was launched 9 March 1944 by Brown Shipbuilding Co., Houston, Tex.; sponsored by Mrs. M. W. Dufilho, widow of Lieutenant Dufilho; and commissioned 21 July 1944, Commander A. H. Nienau, USNR, in command.

Dufilho escorted Viren (PG-63) with Admiral R. E. Ingersoll, Commander-in-Chief, Atlantic Fleet embarked on a tour of inspection of the Caribbean naval bases between 18 September and 19 October 1944. After a voyage to Casablanca, French Morocco, as escort for Kasaun Bay (CVE-69) from 24 October to 14 November, Dufilho sailed from Norfolk 7 December for the Pacific, arriving at Manus, Admiralty Islands, 16 January 1945.

Dufilho got underway for Leyte 23 January 1946 but was diverted to Morotai to join the escort for a convoy of 80 LSTs bound with reinforcements of men and supplies for Lingayen Gulf, Luwn' She patrolled there on 9 and 10 February while the men and supplies were unloaded, then sailed to San Pedro Bay, Leyte, 14 February. She continued to escort supply convoys from Morotai and Leyte to Subic Bay and Lingayen Gulf until the 27th when she was assigned to the San Bernardino Verde islands Minesweeping unit guarding minecraft as they cleared the sea lane to Manila, as well as taking part in naval and amphibious operations along this route. Arriving at Subic Bay 6 March, Dufilho operated on antisubmarine patrol and escort duty.

Between 26 April and 5 July 1945, Dufilho joined in the Borneo operation, escorting shipping from the Philippines and Mios Woendi to Morotai in preparation for the landings at Tarakan and Brunei Bay in May and June. She convoyed reinforcements to Tarakan, and patrolled off the be&clue. during the assaults at Brunei Bay, escorted support troops in, and returned with empty landing craft to San Pedro Bay.

After brief overhaul, Dufilho patrolled out of Leyte on antisubmarine, air-sea rescue, weather reporting and escort duty. On 3 and 4 August 1945 she aided in the rescue of survivors from Indianapolis (CA-35). Following a voyage to Okinawa to convoy LSTs and LSMs to Leyte for repairs, Dufilho sailed from Leyte 6 September and after calling at Okinawa, arrived at Shanghai 22 September. She operated on a variety of duties at port and Hong Kong until 5 January 1946 when she sailed for the west coast. Dufilho arrived at San Diego 12 February and was placed out of commission in reserve 14 May 1946.