< Duffy DE-27

Duffy DE-27



Charles John Duffy, born 31 December 1919 in New York City, enlisted in the Naval Reserve 26 April l941 and was appointed an aviation cadet 13 November 1942 Flying a carrier aircraft. Ensign Duffy was killed in action during the Naval Battle of Casablanca, French Morocco, 8 November 1942 during the landings on north
Africa. ~

DDE-268 carried the name Duffy from 23 February to 14 June 1943. She was loaned to Britain 31 August 1943 and named Dacres, returned to the United States and sold 14 December 1946.

(DE-27: dp. 1,110 1. 289'6"; b 35'1"; dr. 8'3"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 156; a. 3 3", 8 dep., 1 dcp.(hh.), 2 act.; cl. Evarts)

Duffy (DE-27), originally intended for transfer to Great Britain, was launched as BDE-27 on 16 April 1943 by Mare Island Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. Thomas Vice; remained in the U.S. Navy and commissioned 5 August 1943, Commander G. A. Parkinson, USNR, in command.

Duffy sailed from San Francisco 2 October 1943 escorting a convoy to Pearl Harbor where she joined in training exercises before joining the 6th Fleet. On 10 November she sailed in the screen for carriers bound for air strikes on Mille, Jaluit, and Makin in the Marshalls. A week later Duffy was detached to escort Neosho (AO-48) during the invasion of the Gilbert Islands, returning to Pearl Harbor 15 December.

Departing Pearl Harbor 22 January 1944 in the escort for an LST convoy, Duffy arrived off Kwajalein 2 February for the assault landings the next day. Two days later she sailed, escorting unladen transports to Funafuti, Ellice Islands, arriving 8 February. Duffy served on escort and patrol duty in the Solomons between 19 February and 28 September, then between Manus and Ulithi until 25 October, and through November in the Marianas. On 30 November she sailed from Saipan escorting a group of LSTs with men, supplies, and equipment, unloading at Leyte 6 to 13 December for the retaking of the Philippines. Protecting the convoy during unloading, Duffy scored several hits on an enemy plane which crashed on the beach during an air raid.

Returning to Saipan 27 December 1944, Duffy served on patrol and local escort duty in the Marianas and to Majuro until 27 May 1945. She covered air strikes on Maloelap, sailing close to the island to stand by for airsea rescue work if necessary, and on the 29th fired a shore bombardment. Duffy continued to operate from Majuro, bombarding and waging psychological warfare against bypassed Japanese-held islands. On 14 June she took prisoner seven men of the cutoff garrison on Mille Atoll.

Duffy sailed from Kwajalein 13 July 1946 for the west coast, arriving at San Francisco 26 July. She was decommissioned there 9 November 1946 and sold 16 June 1947.

Duffy received two battle stars for World War II service.