< Corbesier DE-438

Corbesier DE-438



Antoine Joseph Corbesier, born 22 January 1837 in Belgium, served in the Belgian army before coming to America. For more than 40 years he was the beloved swordmaster of the Naval Academy Midshipmen. By special act of Congress, he was given the rank of first Lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps 4 March 1913. He died in the Naval Hospital at Annapolis 26 March 1916.

Corbesier (DE-106) had her name canceled 24 September 1943 and was transferred to France under lend lease 2 January 1944 under the name Senegalais. She was transferred to France permanently under the Mutual Defense Assistance Program 21 April 1952.

(DE-438: dp. 1,350, 1. 306', b. 36'8", dr. 9'5"; s. 24 k.;
epl. 186; a. 2 5", 3 21" tt., 8 dep., 1 dcp.(hh.), 2 act.; el.
John C. Butler)

Corbesier (DE-438) was launched 13 February 1944 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Kearny, N.J., sponsored by Mrs. G. V. Stewart; and commissioned 31 March 1944, Lieutenant Commander W. B. Porter in command.

Corbesier departed New York City 29 May 1944 for Pearl Harbor, arriving 26 June. Between 2 July and 9 August, she twice escorted convoys to Eniwetok and back to Pearl Harbor. She next sailed to escort a cable ship to Midway, screened it during its operations there from 29 August to 16 September and proceeded with the cable ship to Eniwetok and Saipan, arriving 2 October.

Corbesier served on patrol and escort off Saipan from 12 October to 11 November 1944, then sailed for Guam and Leyte escorting an Army Engineer dredge. She departed San Pedro Bay 19 November for Ulithi, where from her arrival 25 November she carried out antisubmarine and escort missions, calling at Guam, Saipan, Kossol Roads, and Manus. On 23 January 1945 with Conklin (DE 439) and Rahy (DE-698) she sank the Japanese submarine 1-48 off Yap. She sailed from Ulithi 18 March with the logistics group supporting the fast carrier striking force in the Okinawa Campaign, and screened, guarded planes and transferred passengers, mail, and freight until 15 June when she was detached at Saipan. Sailing from Saipan 28 June for Okinawa, she operated on antisubmarine screening duty in protection of the operations on the island from 4 July undergoing the hazards of kamikaze attacks, and typhoons. At the end of hostilities, she anchored in Buckner Bay until 24 September, when she sailed for Nagasaki, arriving 26 September for various duties in support of the occupation of Japan, including transportation of passengers, mail, and light freight between Nagasaki, Sasebo, and Okinawa. She cleared Sasebo 16 October for Saipan, Pearl Harbor, and San Diego, arriving 10 November 1945. Corbesier was placed out of commission in reserve 2 July 1946, berthed at San Diego.

Corbesier received two battle stars for World War II service.