USS Paul Revere
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links


Other Sites
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
Multieducator Products

Paul Revere APA-248

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Paul Revere
(APA-248: dp. 16, 838, 1. 563'6", b. 76'; dr. 27', s. 20 k.;
cpl. 414, trp. 1,500; a. 4 3"; cl. Paul Revere; T. C4-S-lA)

Paul Revere (APA-248) was originally laid down as MA hull 27 on 15 May 1952 by the New York SB Corp., Camden N.J. Launched 11 April 1953 as SS Diamond Mariner, sponsore] by Mrs. Franklin Ewers; delivered to MARAD 22 December 1953, operated bv the Prudential Steamship Coru. for MARAD, placed in the Maritime Reserve Fleet 24 July 1954; acquired by the Navy 14 September 1956; elassified APA-248 and named Paul Revere 4 June 1957; converted by Todd SB Corp., San Pedro, Calif.; and commissioned at Long Beach, Calif. 3 September 1958, Capt. Robert Erly in eommand.

After shakedown, Paul Reuere spent the next full year participating in amphibious training operations: "Rock

Shoals" at San Diego in November 1958, "Twin Peaks" at Camp Pendleton in February 1959, "PACNAMIDLEX" at Del Mar, Calif. in August, "Clear Ridge" off Calif. in September, and "Totem Pole" at Kodiak, Alaska during November.

During 1960-1961, she was assigned "Ready APA" duty in which she maintained on board, at all times, a fully equipped and reinforced battalion of landing troops to be put ashore on short notice at any trouble spot in the Pacific. On 21 March 1961 trouble flared in Laos, and Paul Revere commenced patrolling the waters off the coast of Southeast Asia. She remained in the area in a ready status for a total of fiftyfour days until tensions eased, then resumed her normal South China Sea patrol.

In January 1962, after returning to the U.S., Paul Revere aeeomplished a most dramatic rescue, when one of several helicopters engaged in ASW exercises plunged into the ocean. Operating several hundred yards from the scene, she launched a manned hoat which returned the three crewmen of the helieopter to the ship for medical treatment, all in the space of six minutes.

Following overhaul, she spent the remainder of 1962 in coastal amphibious training operations in the San Diego area. The year 1963 saw her complete a sueeessful WestPae deployment and another rigorous schedule of training operations.

Departing San Diego on 28 January 1964 for her fourth WestPae deployment en route to Pearl Harbor Paul Revere participated in "Coeo Palm", a merchant convoy sailing exereise. From Pearl Harbor she sailed to Buckner Bay in preparation for one of the largest amphibious operations since the end of World War II. This exercise, called "Back Pack", involved over 50,000 American and Nationalist Chinese personnel and over 125 ships. It was conducted off the southwestern coast of Taiwan and terminated 12 March. Paul Revere also partieipated in "Ligtas", a combined SEATO exercise in the Philippines during May, and operation "Minute Hand", conducted at Numazu, Japan in July. Returning to the states, she joined another convoy exercise, "Mad Bull", and arrived San Diego 6 August.

Paul Revere spent the first seven months of 1965 conducting training operations off the coast. In August she lifted elements of the 1st Marine Division to Okinawa and during October and November she transported personnel of South Korea's famed Tiger Division to Qui Nhon, South Vietnam from Pusan. From 7-18 November she conducted her first

actual combat assault as a unit involved in operation "Blue Marlin", with Marine battalions embarked. She was involved in a similar operation called "Double Eagle" at Quang Ngai Provinee in January 1966 with Marines. She continued lift support for Marine units in Vietnam through March and then returned to San Diego 19 April.

Paul Revere resumed coastal operations on her return, until May 1967 when she again deployed to the Far East. As a unit of the Amphibious Ready Group off the coast of Vietnam she engaged in operations "Belt Drive", "Fortress Sentry", "Formation Leader", and "Knox". She returned to San Diego 16 December and commenced coastal operations. For meritorious service from 7 August 1967 to 11 November 1967 during sustained amphibious operations against communist insurgent forces in the Republic of Vietnam, Paul Revere was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation, the first ship of her type to receive the award.

During 1968 she participated in training cruises for Naval Reservists and Midshipmen, including a special familiarization cruise for Sea Cadets. She also continued her upkeep and training preparations for her next coming deployment in January 1969.