USS Goodhue APA 107
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links


Other Sites
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
Multieducator Products

Goodhue APA-107

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt

A county in Minnesota.

(APA-107: dp. 8,100, 1. 492', b. 69'6", dr. 26'6"; s. 18 k.;
cpl. 546, a. 2 5"; cl. Bayfield)

Goodhue (APA-107), formerly Sea Wren, was labeled under Maritime Commission contract by Western Pipe & Steel CO., San Francisco, Calif., 31 May 1944, sponsored by Mrs. Charles R. Purcell; transferred to the Navy and commissioned 11 November 1944, Captain L. D. Sharp, Jr., in command.

Goodhue underwent shakedown training off San Pedro and took part in amphibious training exercises 21 December off San Diego, preparing for her part in the massive landings still to come in the Pacific war. The ship loaded vehicles at San Diego and sailed 4 January 1945 for Seeadler Harbor, Admiralty Islands, where she arrived 21 January. There the transport loaded passengers and cargo and sailed for Hollandia, New Guinea, anchoring 4 February.

After steaming to Leyte Gulf 12 February, Goodhue carried supplies to various bases in the area and took part in amphibious training until 25 February. She then began to load troops and supplies for the Okinawa invasion, as American forces neared the last stop in their victorious sweep across the Pacific. More landing drills followed, after which the transport got underway in convoy for Okinawa 21 March. Arriving off Kerama Retto 26 March, Good hue and the other transports put ashore troops to secure the island group as a base for the coming invasion of nearby Okinawa.

Goodhue remained at Kerama Retto during the initial landings 1 April and while returning to sea the evening of 2 April underwent a heavy air attack. As gunners from Goodhue, screen ships, and other transports fled furiously, suicide planes attempted to crash the loaded ships.Henrico ( APA - 5) took a kamikaze hit on her bridge and Dickerson (APD-21) was also crashed. Goodhue's gunners splashed a plane on the starboard quarter, but another headed directly for her from dead ahead. Unable to bring her full firepower to bear in that direction, Goodhue could not divert the attacker, which hit the mainmast and fell astern of the ship. Exploding bombs from the aircraft caused many casualties and fires, killing 27 and wounding 117, but:the ship did not suffer serious structural damage and was able to continue. Subsequently, Goodhue was based at Kerama Retto repairing battle damage, and rejoined her transport squadron 10 April. She transferred her Arm, Medical Detachment to Ie Shima by LST 17 April and landed the main body of her embarked troops 20 April. Nearing the beaches in a predawn operation, she landed her reinforcements and retired, undergoing air attack again that afternoon. Cargo was off loaded under cover of smoke screens by 24 April and 2 days later Goodhue joined a convoy bound for Ulithi.

The transport arrived Ulithi 30 April after a grueling month at Okinawa, and departed 22 May for San Francisco. There she loaded additional troops for the Pacific fighting and sailed again 25 June. Steaming by way of Eniwetok and Ulithi, aoodhue arrived Manila 21 July and disembarked troops. She then sailed for Lingayen Gulf. Ioading troops, and engaged in training operations 7-13 August. Word of the Japanese surrender arrived 15 August as another assault was about to take place.

Goodhue's next assignment was to carry occupation troops to Japan, and She loaded soldiers at Subic Bay and Cebu, Philippine Islands. The convoy arrived Sagami Bay, Japan, 8 September. Unloading her troops, the transport brought on board nearly 1,000 liberated prisoners of warÑEnglish, Dutch, and Norwegian as well as American. She sailed for Manila 12 September and disembarked the men 6 days later From there Goodhue visited Cebu and Subic Bay to load veterans on operation "Magic-Carpet", the giant task of transporting the veteran soldiers and sailors back to the United States. Sailing 11 October, the ship arrived San Pedro, Calif., via Pearl Harbor 3 November 1945. She made one more voyage to the Pacific bringing back veterans of the fighting in the Philippines, and sailed from San Francisco 2 February 1946 for Hampton Roads, VA., via the Panama Canal. Goodhue arrived 19 February and decommissioned 5 April 1946. She was turned over to the Maritime Commission and eventually sold to Matson Navigation Co., where she serves as freighter Hawaiian Citizen

Goodhue received one battle star for World War II service.


'); ');