Serpens II AK-266
(AK-266: dp. 11,540 (f.); 1. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 29'; cl.
Alchiba; T. N3-S-A2)
The second Serpens (AK-266), an N3-S-A2 cargo ship built under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 2520) and originally named Northern Yeoman, was laid down on 16 October 1944 by McCloskey and Co., Tampa, Fla., launched as William Lester on 17 June 1945; sponsored by Miss Ann McCarty; and delivered to the Maritime Commission on 30 June 1945.
Initially operated by the Waterman SS Co., William Lester served as an Army ship prior to being transferred to the Navy on 12 June 1951. Renamed Serpens (AK 266), the ship was loaned to the Republic of Korea on the same day as her acquisition by the Navy and served that country until returned to the Navy in 1960. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 1 February 1960, and she was sold for scrapping to the Hong Kong Rolling Mills, Ltd., Hong Kong, B.C.C., on 27 June of the same year.