USS Ulysses S Grant

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Ulysses S Grant SSBN-631

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Ulysses S. Grant

(SSBN-631: dp. 7,300 (surf.), 8,250 (subm.), 1. 426'; b. 33', dr. 31'4"; s. 20+ k.; cpl. 140; a. 16 Poseidon mist, 4 21" tt.; cl. James Madison)

Ulysses S. Grant (SSBN-631) was laid down on 18 August 1962 at Groton, Conn., by the Electric Boat Div. of the General Dynamics Corp., launched on 2 November 1963 sponsored by Mrs. David W. Griffiths, the great-granddaughter of General Grant, and was commissioned at Groton on 17 July 1964, Capt. J. L. From, Jr., in command.

Following shakedown, the fleet ballistic missile (FBM) submarine got underway from Groton in early December 1964, bound for the Pacific. Transiting the Panama Canal on New Year's Eve, she arrived at Pearl Harbor in January 19G6. The FBM submarine was deployed to Guam, in the Marianas, and operated from there into 1970. She conducted 18 deterrent patrols before returning to the east coast of the United States, departing the western Pacific in December 1970. After an overhaul at Charleston, S.C., Ulysses S. Grant was deployed to Holy Loch, Scotland, and operated in the European area until September 1975.

Returning home at that time, the submarine continued to operate with the Atlantic Fleet on deterrent patrols into 1980.
hjk